Chiquis, Karol G, Prince Royce and Ovy On the Drums, among others, have opened up about having tested positive for COVID-19 and shared the road to recovery with their millions of followers on social media.
As coronavirus cases continue to surge in the United States, with more than 4 million cases confirmed to date, Latin musicians who have tested positive have taken this opportunity to not only be transparent. They’re also educating their fans and encouraging them to stay home — if they have the option — and urging them to continue to take necessary precautions such as social distancing, wearing masks and washing your hands to reduce the risk of transmission.
“It’s so frustrating to me to see people at supermarkets without a mask,” Royce said in an interview with the Associated Press. “Just because you’re young doesn’t mean that you’re not gonna get it. I’m hoping that my story can educate the youth.”
Here are the Latin artists who have opened up about having the coronavirus.
Cuban singer and actress Aymée Nuviola announced during an interview with MegaTV on July 29 that she had COVID-19. “It happened a few days ago and luckily, I am in the last stages and recuperating,” she said. “I noticed something was off because I had mood swings, I went from being nervous to wanting to sleep all the time, until finally, I lost my senses of smell and taste and so I decided to get the test and it was positive.”
On July 24, the “Jolene” singer shared with her fans on social media that she had tested negative for COVID-19 following her positive diagnosis from earlier this month. “I don’t wish this upon anyone. It’s weird, sad and an awful thing to have. But I want to share my journey because I want to be transparent and it’s my responsibility. God has given me this platform to talk about these things.” The regional Mexican singer went on to say that she tested positive for antibodies. “I felt confused. I thought I would never be normal again, I was scared. But now I am past this.”
The Colombian artist shared during an Instagram live on July 13 that she had tested positive for COVID-19 a few weeks prior. “I hadn’t said anything because my parents are far away and I didn’t want them to worry about me,” she explained after stories started circulating that she had contracted the coronavirus. “Because my new single [Ay DiOs Mío] was coming out, I didn’t want coronavirus to be the news.”
On July 3, Prince Royce shared that he had tested positive for COVID-19 after he decided to take a test because of a persistent headache. In his video posted on social media, he called for others to be aware of the very real dangers of contracting the disease. “It’s so frustrating to me to see people at supermarkets without a mask,” Royce said in an interview with the Associated Press. “Just because you’re young doesn’t mean that you’re not gonna get it. I’m hoping that my story can educate the youth, the people that are trying to go out this weekend because of the holiday [Fourth of July].”
Intocable’s frontman Ricky Muñoz shared on Facebook June 30 that several of the band’s members had tested positive for COVID-19. “The members that tested positive were René Martinez, Felix Salinas, Sergio Serna, Johnny Lee Rosas and Juan Hernandez, they have received medical treatment and are in quarantine,” Muñoz said. “We want to wish those that have been affected by coronavirus a speedy recovery.”
Ovy On the Drums
Back in April, producer Ovy On the Drums shared his diagnosis and documented the testing procedure with his more than 1 million followers on Instagram. “I didn’t know I had the virus, but then I started to feel weak mid-March and I had a headache, body aches and chills,” Ovy previously told Billboard. “But I kept working and thinking the mind has power and if I keep saying that I’m sick, I will feel sick, and so I didn’t let my mind go there.” Ovy added, “One day I will tell my kids, ‘Your dad survived the coronavirus.’ I’m one more survivor of the coronavirus.”
View this post on Instagram
Ovy les manda un mensaje: al dar positivo al COVID-19 se entiende aun mas que es vital entender que hay que cuidarse del virus este no discrimina y es exagerado de contagioso, esa es la razon por la que debemos estar en casa, #quedateencasa y cuidémonos todos y Dr DRUMS esperemos se recupere pronto del todo @ovyonthedrums
A post shared by Big Ligas (@bigligas) on Mar 29, 2020 at 12:02pm PDT
The opera singer announced on social media on March 22 that he had tested positive and is isolating in self-quarantine. “I experienced fever and cough symptoms therefore deciding to get tested and the result came back positive,” he said. “I beg everyone to be extremely careful, follow the basic guidelines by washing your hands frequently, keeping at least a 6 feet distance from others, doing everything you can to stop the virus from spreading and please above all stay home if you can!”
“It’s time to be thankful, first to God for letting me pass this test and return to life, return to peace. I will forever be grateful,” the merengue singer said in a video. “I also want to thank the first responders, my family, my kids and everyone who prayed for me. We are back with more faith and we will pray for those that need us.” In March, Ventura revealed on social media he had tested positive for COVID-19. He also went on to ask those who had been around him to get tested and isolate.
Juan Pablo Villamil
The Morat band member revealed in a March 26 message from the group that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. The musicians explained that they had been in Spain and Mexico, and upon arriving home in Colombia, they decided to be safe and self-quarantine, noting that they had experienced mild symptoms. “Villa was tested because he had symptoms and was positive for COVID-19. For having been together for 14 days and having some similar symptoms, it’s our responsibility to assume that we all have the virus,” they wrote on their Instagram post. “We have had very mild symptoms. We must be careful not to become contagion agents. We love you and ask you to stay home and listen to what the authorities say.”